Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Jeremy Alonzo- Battling Testicular Cancer

Today's cancer survival story:

My cousin:  Jeremy Mark Alonzo  (diagnosed with testicular cancer at the age of 27)

Here's a quote I found that reminded me of Jeremy.

If children have the ability to ignore all odds and percentages, then maybe we can all learn from them.  When you think about it, what other choice is there but to hope?  We have two options, medically and emotionally:  give up, or fight like hell.  ~Lance Armstrong

He's a fighter and my family and friends are here to help him.

Christmas Eve my family gathered to exchange tears and stories of a father, brother, nephew, cousin, grandson and friend.   My cousin Jeremy was diagnosed with testicular cancer.    I was caught off guard and couldn't stop playing the "why him" phrase in my head.   All the ladies in the family had some sort of cancer and he's the first man!  That's right Jeremy! First man in the family to be diagnosed with cancer.   Jeremy had surgery during the holidays and his right testicle was removed.   He had several treatments of Chemo but it wasn't enough.    Doctors suggested they go back in and remove some of the cancer that moved to his stomach and lymph nodes.    He underwent a 6 hour intense surgery and I'm proud to say he's recovering.  It's rough and he walks like a old man but he's strong and we all know he will fight it.    He has 4 treatments of Chemo and hopefully he will be in remission.    During my walk,  I will be wearing a pair of bright yellow socks.  I want him to know that I will have him with me every step I take!  





JEREMY LIVESTRONG

No comments:

Post a Comment